Zane Mortensen, MS Associate Planner
Mr. Mortensen joined the firm in April 2022, as an Assistant Planner to provide support in the preparation of environmental planning and land use documents for a variety of development projects such as residential sites, schools, subdivisions, specific plans, hospitals, and recreational facilities. Primary responsibilities involve conducting air quality and greenhouse gas emissions modeling and analysis, as well as the preparation of environmental review documentation in compliance with CEQA/NEPA regulatory standards. He was promoted to the position of Associate Planner in December 2022.
In May 2019, he was awarded a Master’s of Science degree from the Environmental Science Graduate Program at California State University, Monterey Bay (CSUMB). During his academic career, he developed a range of skills to apply to environmental issues within the community while working on projects for both State and County entities. He also had the opportunity to participate in research focused on the development of water treatment technology aimed at remediating agricultural pollutants from local tributaries.
Upon receiving his Master’s of Science degree in Environmental Science from CSUMB, Mr. Mortensen was hired by the Rural Community Assistance Corporation to facilitate planning efforts that supported drinking water, wastewater, and stormwater infrastructure development for low-income rural communities. His role largely involved overseeing State funded consolidation efforts between small rural community water systems and larger local utility providers.
- M.S. – California State University Monterey Bay, Environmental Science, 2019
- B.S. – California State University Monterey Bay, Environmental Science Technology and Policy, 2017
- A.S. – Cerritos College, Natural Sciences, 2015
- A.A. – Cerritos College, Automotive Mechanical Repair, 2013
- Current Conditions and Restoration Scenarios for the Carmel River and Riparian Corridor at the Rancho Cañada Parcel of Palo Corona Park: Carmel Valley CA, Central Coast Watershed Studies, March 2019
- Hydrology and Water Quality of the Big Sur Land Trust Property in Carr Lake, Central Coast Watershed Studies, April 2019
- Isolation of Microbial Populations with the Ability to Use Pesticides as a Sole Carbon Source in Multichannel Woodchip Bioreactors under a Controlled Environment, American Chemical Society, October 2018
CERTIFICATES & TRAINING
- UC San Diego CEQA Practice Certification, current enrollment
- The Safe Drinking Water Act, 2019
- Advanced Water Treatment, 2019
- Successful completion Grade I Wastewater Plant Operator Examination, 2014